Planning & Preparation
Moving can be a stressful time in anyone’s life, the more time you take in proper preparations and planning for your move the smoother the entire process will go!
Your rep is available by phone or email for any questions you may have, but here are a few tips to get you started!
One room at a time
We suggest tackling one room at a time; perhaps start in the garage, shed or basement a few weeks before the move, as you will not use those items as frequently as you would in the kitchen or family room. Work your way through your home packing seldom used items first and daily use items last.
As you are packing you should consider donating or selling items you don’t use often, or discarding broken items to reduce the clutter while packing.
When packing boxes please remember that by under packing the box, or over packing the box you increase the risk of damage. All boxes should be packed to the top (try using linens or towels to fill up those mostly full boxes) but not so full they are bursting at the seams.
Things not to pack
- Do not pack valuables or important documents, examples of these would be jewellery, money, passports, laptops, tablets, etc.
- Do not pack dangerous or flammable items such as lighter fluid, paint, oily rags, matches, charcoal, pool chemicals, bleach, oven cleaner or ammunition as they can explode and cause damage to your shipment.
You should put any hardware in small bags with a label to indicate which furniture item they belong too, it will save you the aggravation of looking for screws and bolts throughout your many boxes. We recommend packing the hardware in a labelled box, versus taping it to the furniture item.
Do not pack liquids such as alcohol, laundry detergents, cooking oils, etc.
Please ensure any wall mounted televisions, wall hanging pictures or mirrors, window coverings and curtain rods have been taken down and prepared for shipping.
If you choose to do your own packing, we do require all boxes to be packed and sealed prior to the mover’s arrival. We request the crews are left with clear paths in and out of rooms and doorways, and that there is no clutter left in the working space (around doorways, in the halls or on the stairs). This is not only for the safety of our staff, but the safety of your precious belongings as well.
In the winter months it is very important that exterior steps, pathways and driveways are cleared of snow and ice.
- Atlanntis Van Lines offer a wide range of partial, full packing and crating services. Want to leave all the hassle to us? No problem! Even if you just have a few items that you would prefer to have done with that professional touch it’s never an issue. Ask one of our many experienced reps and they would be happy to walk you through all the options that are available.
- Atlanntis Van Lines carries a wide range of packing materials as well, whether you need a few dozen or a few hundred boxes we will help tailor the most suitable package of materials for the best price.
- If you have opted for the full packing service, we ask that only the items you choose for us to pack are left in the home, any items meant for disposal or donation should already be out of the home when the crew arrives.